Most of us know that sun exposure is collagen’s worst enemy. Alcohol is next.
Alcohol produces free radicals, which are chemicals in the skin that destroy our collagen. These collagen fibers keep our skin firm and structured. Think of alcohol’s free radicals as the nasty thieves that they are and destroyers of healthy cells.
How Do Free Radicals Destroy Collagen?
Free radicals are missing an electron so the free radical “steals” an electron from the molecule of a healthy cell. Now that molecule is missing an electron and now becomes a free radical and so on. This is, essentially, oxidative stress. Free radicals destroy collagen. And when you lose collagen, the consequences are fine lines, wrinkles, and sagginess.
What Can you Do to Minimize Alcohol’s Impact on Collagen?
- Antioxidant rich foods and antioxidant supplements.
- B Vitamins.
- When you consume alcohol, make sure it is with food.
- It is best if you have protein in your stomach before you drink. This helps avoid a glycemic reaction.
- Different alcohols have different effects on the skin, but as a general rule, the clearer, the better: vodka, gin, and tequila get out of your system quicker.
- Drink less and less often. Every other day instead of every day.
- Sorry to be a bummer. Love you Guys.